Sources of EMF / RF signals are increasing exponentially due to advancements in technology and changes in technology use. These types of radiation can come from many electronic sources such as cell phones, smart meters, tablets, computers, radio and television signals, radar, satellite stations, and 5G towers.
Studies have shown that fetuses and babies are susceptible to the negative effects of these signals. As such, education surrounding the harmful effects of EMF and RF radiation on your newborns and how to protect against it is increasingly important.
Babies and Fetuses are the Most Vulnerable
The younger you are, the more vulnerable you are to the effects of EMF radiation.
There was a study by Dr. Lennart Hardell in 2008 on the correlation between cell phone usage and the diagnosis of two types of cancer, called gliomas and acoustic neuromas.
They found that people who began using cell phones in their twenties had a 50% higher chance of developing gliomas and were twice as likely to develop acoustic neuromas. Those who started using cell phones in their teens and childhood were five times more likely to develop gliomas and acoustic neuromas.
Why are they the most vulnerable?
EMF radiation is harmful to all human beings, but babies and fetuses are the most vulnerable to EMF, and there are some reasons why:
Babies are still growing
They undergo higher rates of cellular mitosis (cell division and multiplication), so cellular mutation damages caused by EMF radiation in children will replicate at a higher rate too
Babies Have Thinner Skulls
Skulls protect against EMF radiation, and because babies have thinner skulls, radiation can penetrate deeper into children's brains
Babies Are Smaller
The same principle applies to the rest of their bodies, where EMF radiation can penetrate childrens' bodies deeper than with adults since their bodies are smaller
What are the effects of EMF on fetuses and babies?
Besides the previously mentioned cancerous-causing effects, several studies have shown a wide range of adverse health effects of EMF on fetuses and babies.
- In a study at Kaiser Permanente, researchers discovered that exposure to EMF in utero significantly increases the child's risk of developing asthma by the time they turn 13. "Every 1-mG [milligauss] increase of maternal MF level during pregnancy was associated with a 15% increased rate of asthma in offspring."
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a division of WHO has also identified a link between childhood leukemia and EMF exposure.
- A 2019 paper published in the National Library of Medicine found evidence that EMF exposure from cell phones during pregnancy significantly increases the child's risk of developing speech problems.
- A study by Dr. De-Kun Li found that EMF exposure during pregnancy leads to 2.72 times greater risk of miscarriage.
- Another 2019 paper published in the National Library of Medicine found that exposure to EMF in utero significantly impacts fetal growth. Some of these side effects include "lower birth weight, thinner skinfold of triceps, abdomen and back, and smaller circumference of the head, upper arm and abdomen in all three ELF-MF matrices."
What can you do to protect your babies from EMF?
The good news is that there are multiple ways to protect yourself and your babies from EMF exposure. The best way to protect yourself from EMF is to reduce your EMF exposure in the first place.
Here are some ways you can do that:
1. Minimize Wireless Functions
- Disable Wi-Fi connections when possible.
- Use ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi.
- Turn off your Wi-Fi router at night.
2. Replace Wireless With Wired Devices
Don't use wireless devices like keyboards, headsets, and mice, but use wired versions instead.
3. Keep EMF Sources at a Distance
- Keep the Wi-Fi router away from where you and your baby spend the most time at home.
- Avoid keeping your phone in your pockets.
- Don't stand in front of a microwave with your baby while it's on.
- Keep electronics out of the bedroom, especially while sleeping.
4. Use Your Smartphone Safely
- Keep your cell phone in airplane mode when possible.
- Keep your phone away from the body as much as possible.
- Use the speakerphone function while calling.
5. Use EMF Blocking products from BB Holistics.
BB Holistics offers a wide range of product that protects against EMF such as our SleepGift Baby Blankets or EMF Shielding Baby Hats
These products block out 99% of EMF radiation in any environment. You can order the SleepGift Baby Blankets here.
Written by: Sean Shih